Thursday, March 21, 2013

Why I Love Counseling

I do not love it when clients come in for their first appointment and tell me what they've diagnosed themselves with.

I love it when a client comes in and shares that they are uncomfortable in counseling, and then find, after 50 minutes, that I'm really not so bad and they actually like me.

I do not love it when clients won't let me get a word in edgewise.

I love it when clients really buy into the squirrel-ier aspects of counseling: moving from chair to chair, doing art in session, visualization exercises.

I do not love it when clients no-show me five times in a row and then walk into the office in complete crisis and demand my attention.

I love it when my clients say very insightful things, and I end up being the one who is learning.

I do not love it when I can't stop thinking and worrying about my clients when I leave the office.

I love it when my client's laugh at my jokes.

I do not love it when I feel the sad and difficult emotions my clients express, and then I have no way to sort through it because it wasn't my emotion in the first place, so I have to watch a sad movie so that I can cry. Or I accidentally end up being nasty to someone I don't want to be nasty to because I wasn't self-aware enough to deal with it head-on. 

I love it when my clients are comfortable on my couch, and move the pillows around and lounge.

I do not love it when I'm anxious about something else and my client's difficulties make my anxiety worse.

I love the look on each client's face when they have an "aha!" moment.

I do not love when clients seem to drop off the face of the Earth and I get no closure.

I love helping.

I do not love when people outside of work say "you're just analyzing me" because they don't like what I'm saying. I love my job, but it's really hard, and I'm not interested in continuing to work when I leave work.

I love it the assertiveness that I've learned through learning to be a counselor. I can be really good at bringing up things I don't like without getting upset.

I really don't love when I realize I have been being the exact opposite of assertive.

I love the self-care component of counseling - I have a really great excuse to do things just because I feel like it.

I really really do not love when I realize that I have not been taking care of my emotional self at all and that it's been affecting everything else in my life.

And people want to know why counselors need counselors!

No comments:

Post a Comment